Marlena Kushner, MFT
Licensed Psychotherapist Certified in EMDR Therapy
1703 Fifth Avenue #101,
Areas of interest include:
- Relationship and intimacy issues with individuals and couples
- Low self-esteem
- Recovery from eating disorders (compulsive overeating, bulimia and anorexia)
- Grief and loss
- Trauma therapy with childhood abuse, rape, accidents, invasive medical procedures
- Twelve Step Recovery model with addictive behaviors including ACA and co-dependency
- Life and career transitions
- EMDR Therapy (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing)
- Depression, anxiety and panic attacks
- Issues involving lack of trust, abandonment and anger
- Healing through opening up creative and spiritual channels
I am a Marriage and Family Therapist who has been doing psychotherapy for over 30 years working with individuals, couples and families. My approach to psychotherapy is holistic, integrating the connection between mind, body, heart and spirit. I like to establish a therapeutic relationship of trust and safety. From this foundation, it is possible to more deeply understand your problems, identify and express feelings, and ultimately learn how to have more choices in your life moving towards health and positive change.
As a licensed psychotherapist certified in EMDR therapy (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) by the EMDR International Association, one of my specialties is trauma therapy. EMDR therapy has been shown through research to be a particularly effective form of working with trauma. It is also a powerful tool in resolving those life events that reinforce negative beliefs about ourselves and the world. These negative beliefs can keep us feeling stuck in old habits and perpetuate self-destructive patterns of behavior along with feelings of depression and anxiety. EMDR addresses these issues and can facilitate healing on a deep, transformative level. For more information on how EMDR therapy works, please see my article on this website. Call for a free phone consultation at (415)563-2759 to see if EMDR therapy is right for you.
My style as a psychotherapist is fairly interactive and practical. I have an eclectic background in psychodynamic therapy, Jungian psychology, family systems, somatics and transpersonal psychology. In addition to EMDR Therapy, I incorporate a variety of other tools as dreamwork, body awareness, creativity and spirituality. I am also a long time meditator and a student of the Diamond Approach. Each psychotherapy relationship I work with is individualized and unique, utilizing resources that come out of the relationship that develops.